Allergy and Scent Sensitivity Policy
Many elements in the environment can trigger or influence health and disease. In Canada today, more than one in four individual suffers from respiratory disease. Medical evidence clearly shows that scented products are harmful to the health of sensitive individuals. Grace United Church is dedicated to providing a healthy, comfortable and productive environment for our employees and visitors. We can achieve this goal only through ongoing efforts to protect sensitive individuals and to help employees and visitors adjust to restriction on scented products
What is meant by “scent-free”?
When we talk about “scents”, we usually mean the smells or odours from cosmetics (perfume, make-up, shampoo, deodorant, etc) or from other products such as air fresheners, cleaners, candles etc.
Can scents cause health problems?
When scented products have been blamed for adversely affecting a person’s health, some or all of the following symptoms are reported:
Headaches, Dizziness, Light-headedness, Nausea, Fatigue, Weakness, Nosebleeds, Insomnia, Malaise, Confusion, Loss of appetite, Depression, Anxiety, Numbness, Upper respiratory symptoms, Shortness of breath, Difficulty with concentration.
Allergic and asthmatic patients, as well as those with other conditions, report that certain odours, even in the smallest amounts, can trigger an attack. The severity of these symptoms can vary. Some people report mild irritation while others are incapacitated and/or must give up many ‘normal’ activities in order to avoid exposure (such as going to public places)
What types of products contain scents?
Scents are included in a very large range of products including: shampoo and conditioners hairsprays deodorants colognes & aftershaves fragrances & perfumes lotions & creams potpourri industrial and household chemicals soaps cosmetics air fresheners & deodorizers oils candles diapers some types of garbage bags.
Grace United Church strives to be a nut and scent sensitive facility providing a safe and healthy environment for all who attend Grace United Church whether to worship or for any other purpose.
To meet this goal, we strive to be an allergen reduced environment by…
- The words,” Please remember, Grace United Church strives to be a nut and scent sensitive environment” should be added to the web site and included each Sunday in the bulletin.
- Signs will be posted at each main entrance way into the building, each bathroom, kitchen and kitchenette.
- Grace United Church will strive to advise all people who attend events in the building of this policy.
- All groups and organizations that rent or use space will be informed of this Policy and be responsible for letting their group members know. This policy will become a part of every rental agreement going forward.
- Grace United Church will strive to purchase environmentally sensitive, fragrance free cleaning supplies for the kitchen, bathrooms and general building upkeep going forward.
- No nuts or nut products are to be brought into the building for consumption or sale.
This policy can be reviewed and changed because of experience or new knowledge.
For more info, please contact the church office.