Greetings New Church family
The world is an anxious place right now and it is important that we work first from a place of loving God, neighbour, and self, above all else. Given the current data and projections, it is our Christian responsibility to protect everyone by adhering to social distance best practices. In it’s new Emergency Plan statement the United Church is requesting we respond to COVID-19 with compassion, prevention and prayer. To this end, the Board has decided that we will suspend activities at the church until further notice. To repeat, all Church services and gatherings are cancelled until further notice.
While we may not physically be together worshipping God, and carrying out our mission and ministry, the life of the church will continue, using modern technology and communication systems. Being a supportive community is something we do well in the United Church and I believe we as a new congregation have what it takes to stay connected and care for each other.
Here are some of the things we are exploring and asking your co-operation with:
- Of greatest importance – if you know of anyone who is overly anxious and you deem would benefit from remote pastoral support, please don’t hesitate to call me at 519-362-0469 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pastoral Care
- Our administrator Rhonda and I will be trying to reach out via email to most, and by phone to our more isolated church family to maintain connection.
- I am creating a covenant communicating network. Could you please email me the names of people in the congregation who you would be willing to be in contact with by phone on a fairly regular (daily, bi-weekly) basis.
- Could you also identify if you would be willing to provide pastoral support to others by phone. We need to especially consider and support folks who are not connected online. We don’t want anyone to fall through the cracks during this time.
- Worship – we will be offering virtual means to worship via email, Youtube, Facebook and the website. We will keep you posted with links once we’ve got it up and running. I will try to provide numerous means of worship & prayer on Sunday and throughout the week.
- Outreach Programs – are suspended until further notice: Single Moms; Cooking@Tansley; Line Dancing; and Strengthen and Stretch Yoga. Friday Food for Life and Halton Fresh Food Box will advise separately if changes are made to their programming.
- Administration – Our administrator Rhonda will be retrieving and forwarding mail, emails and phone messages on a daily basis.
- Property – Don’t worry about the building – the property folks will visit periodically to make sure all is safe and secure
Thanks for your patience and co-operation as we make our way through this uncharted journey. Let’s keep in touch, stay healthy and remember our United Church creed: God is with us, we are not alone. Thanks be to God!
Rev Helen (on behalf of the Board)
Advice from Ministry of Health: Contact Telehealth Ontario at 1-866-797-0000 or your local public health unit if you’re experiencing symptoms of the 2019 novel coronavirus. Do not call 911 unless it is an emergency.
Self Isolation Guide for caregivers, household contacts: https://www.publichealthontario.ca/-/media/documents/ncov/factsheet-covid-19-guide-isolation-caregivers.pdf?la=en
Ontario Ministry of Health https://www.ontario.ca/page/2019-novel-coronavirus#section-8
Public Health Agency of Canada https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19.html
CDC https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/index.html includes information for communities and faith based groups